This new summer salad balances sweet and heat with a little smokiness thrown in for good measure. Juicy sweet nectarines are lightly grilled and along with creamy goat cheese, top a mixed green salad that is finished with a bright and spicy molasses chipotle dressing.
The dressing will make enough for about two large salads, depending on the size of the crowd you are feeding. Increase the amount of fruit and salad greens as you please. For the dressing, combine the following in a blender and let it run until everything is pureed and combined:
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp molasses (I used Crosby’s fancy molasses)
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (depending on how much heat you like and the size of the peppers, add one, taste and then adjust. I like a lot of heat so I used two)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
For the salad:
- 2 nectarines, pitted and sectioned
- olive oil for grilling
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- soft goat cheese, sliced (about 3 ounces)
- mixed salad greens
Toss the nectarine slices in enough olive oil to cover. Using either a grill pan over medium heat, or your BBQ on low heat, grill nectarines for 1-2 minutes per side. Remove from grill.
Assemble a platter of salad greens, top with sliced red onion and then arrange the grilled nectarine slices and goat cheese. Serve dressing along side or drizzle over top.
You’re ready for your next BBQ!