This cheesy dip contains no cheese, and no dairy at all ! A few simple ingredients, along with your favorite salsa and you have a dip that is ready for your favorite tortilla chips or whatever you choose to dunk. It is whipped up in minutes and can be kept in a sealed jar in the fridge to be warmed later when you are ready to serve.
The “cheesiness” in this dip comes in part from nutritional yeast (not to be confused with yeast used for baking or brewing). It can typically be found in most bulk food stores or health food sections of your grocery store and is great to keep on hand for other recipes (like my seitan black pudding!)
Ready for the recipe?
In a blender or with a stick blender in the saucepan that you will use to warm the dip, combine the following ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups culinary coconut milk (such as So Delicious brand – regular)
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato (easiest route is to bake in the microwave)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tsp taco seasoning (use the packet or make your own blend if avoiding certain ingredients)
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp sea salt
Transfer to a saucepan if using a regular blender. Bring to medium heat until bubbly (you can also do this in the microwave). Remove from heat and stir in:
- 1 cup salsa or pico de gallo
Pour into a bowl and serve with chips. If desired, sprinkle some minced jalapeno peppers over top for a little extra kick.