These little savory and slightly sweet tarts are at as much at home on an appetizer platter or along side a salad for a tasty lunch (especially if you use a larger tart shell). Quick and easy to assemble if you use pre-made pastry shells and the filling can be made ahead of time if you like. They are a great vegetarian alternative to offer your guests.
On to the recipe!
- 1/2 cup cooked french green lentils
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- two basil leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 18-20 small pastry shells
- brie, cubed (6-8 ounces, depending on how cheesy you like it)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and if using frozen tart shells, remove them from the freezer and lay out on cooking pan.
Combine lentils, currants, pecans, tomato, shallot, garlic, brown sugar, vinegar, basil and salt and pepper. Spoon into pastry shells, filling to top. Place a cube of brie on top of each tart.
Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until pastry is golden and cheese is bubbling. Allow to cool and voila!