Smoothies are a great meal on-the-go and this one is no different. Because mangos are my favorite smoothie ingredient by far, I took my inspiration for this particular recipe from Mango Lassi and amped up the protein and fibre quotient with, you guessed it, lentils ! These are a great way to avoid using expensive protein powders by using an ingredient that is easily found, and probably already in your pantry. You won’t even know they’re in there! For this recipe, cooked from dry lentils are ideal, but you could also substitute canned lentils as long as you give them a rinse first. You can also pre-cook the lentils and freeze them in portions to make your smoothie extra frosty and extra convenient !
- 2 cups frozen mango chunks
- 1/2 large banana
- 1/2 cup cooked red lentils
- 3/4 cup of milk of choice (I used almond milk, coconut would also work)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt ( I used a lovely thick yogurt from Fox Hill Cheese , but a greek yogurt will give you even more protein )
- 1 tsp honey ( I used Seaside Honey )
- generous pinch of cardamom
Toss all your ingredients into your blender and blend at high until creamy. This recipe makes approximately 4 cups, enough for two large smoothies or four small, your choice! If you can’t do dairy or want to make this recipe vegan, increase your milk alternative by 1/2 cup, or just use the whole banana, and use an alternate sweetener. The result will be slightly less thick and creamy, but still full of goodness! I had one of these for lunch today along with a little salad.
BTW, this is my last entry in the Canadian Lentils contest, for the freestyle category. The others being:
- Lentil Crusted Coconut Shrimp (for the appetizer category)
- Candied Lentil and Pomegranate Salad with Harissa Vinaigrette (for the salads category)
- Picadillo Lentil Chimichangas (for the main dish category)
- Black Forest Cheesecake Crepes (for the desserts/baked goods category)
If you enjoyed this smoothie recipe, as well as the four others, follow the Canadian Lentils link to show a little love. I really enjoyed participating in this contest and it really got me thinking of so many new ways to use lentils aside from my usual go-to’s. There are a lot of great recipes on the Facebook page, check it out!